Thursday, November 11, 2010

Busy Busy

Mom tells me that I need to write, even though I don't really have anything too exciting to write about, but Mom is usually right so here goes.

It's been a while and I am having a hard time remembering what all I have done since I last wrote.  We started the second partial, which I thought would be easier and less work, but as it turns out, I feel like I have been on overload since it started.  It could be because of the extra things that I have added to my weekly schedule over the past few weeks.  I train Andrea, one of my tenth grade students, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays after school. Tuesday and Thursday afternoons (as of this week) I have started tutoring a 7th grader in Pre-Algebra, which makes everyday just a bit longer.  However, the running I really enjoy, especially with Andrea.

A few funny classroom comments...

1) "Mees, On behalf of the entire class....You look absolutely beautiful today!", says Diego right before his class had to take a quiz. I'm pretty sure he was trying to butter me up so I'd go easy on the grading!

2) Today we had a short mourning period after one of my senior girls came into class very somber and told me "She died." I was puzzled, and then she explained that her lucky pen had finally run out of ink and the funeral was today.

3) After asking my students to guess what color shoes I was going to wear in my roommate's wedding, I laughed when some of them wrote "red high hills!" (this was of course after I told them the correct answer. Although a few of them did guess correctly before I told them.)

I laugh everyday at/with my students.  Of course, I do get pretty frustrated quite often too, but for the most part they always put a smile on my face!

I have become very good friends with another family at School.  Andrea Crook, the girl I train, and her family have become my home away from home.  I love their family so much and have been able to spend time with them, just watching movies, playing soccer and having Sunday breakfast out on the deck and talking for over an hour.  It's been so wonderful to see how God has blessed me with the people here in Honduras.  Andrea is like the little sister I never had. We have so much in common, I practically see myself when I look at her. It's been really good for me to be able to invest so much into someone else.

Christmas is soon approaching.  Or should I say....has been here for about a month now.  For some reason, Hondurans begin decorating and listening to Christmas music around the middle of October.  Now, I am one of Christmas' biggest fans, but even I think that might be a little early.  However, once November arrived, I started to crank up the tunes! ...When in Honduras, do as the Hondurans!

I'm sure there is a ton more that I have forgotten, but it's getting late and I'm leaving tomorrow to head back to Virginia!  I can't wait to see my best friends and my family!  I've realized since I've been away from Libby, Sarah, Lindsay and Leslie that friends like that don't just come around everyday.  What a special place they all have in my heart.  J.E.L.L.S. or should I say "The Fab Five" :-)

Off to bed....if I can fall asleep.

2 comments:

  1. Of course mom is right. I don't mind reading just the mundane of life for you there, or how I can pray for you. No pressure to write too often though. :) Hope you have a great weekend at the wedding! I think it is things like that that keep Libby going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never bored reading about your life - God's in the "little" things of life. Enjoy your visit home and Safe Travel.

    ReplyDelete