Sunday, April 3, 2011

74 Days

The Island of Amapala
 
Yesterday we went to an Island off of the south-western coast of Honduras.  It was about a three hour bus ride, but it was nice because we left at 7:00 AM so the traffic wasn't bad at all.  We got to the coast around 10:00AM and then had to take a taxi boat out to the island.  Because there were about 20 of us, the boat was quite full and loaded down.   A few times, I was unsure if we would actually make it to the Island without capsizing.  After a very slow ride, we made it to a part of the Island called "Playa Grande".  The whole Island is a Volcano and its called Amapala.   We enjoyed several hours on the beach and in the water.  The sand was darker, but not quite a "black beach", and there was a cave that we went into (for only a second because there were bats).
What everyone else ate.  I passed!

I have now been in the Pacific Ocean, the Caribbean Sea and, of course, the Atlantic Ocean. 

Around 1:30 we hopped back on the water taxi and made our way to the mainland.  Josie and I were riding in the front and since it was going so slowly, we actually fell asleep leaning against the edge of the boat. 

Overall, it was fun day trip.  I got burnt, but not too bad, its almost all tan now.  I love going to the beach, even if just for a few hours!

3 comments:

  1. Fun. When is Jeremy coming? I am sure you can't wait for THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell asleep on a ferry today also - a different ferry, I expect. :) A beautiful island. I think I would have passed on the food also.

    ReplyDelete