Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chepe

5:30 came early this morning, but duty calls!  I really don't mind getting up and beginning my day.  It has been especially nice because everyday this week we begin with a time of worship and short devotional.  I wish that we could begin every school day that way throughout the year because spending that time with others worshipping the Lord just takes the bad mood and groggy morning feelings right out of you!

I was able to get some preparation for my classes done today, but being a high school teacher and never having taught at IST or anywhere before I am still very unsure as to what exactly to prepare for.  Both of my housemates have been busy cutting bubble bee's and coloring letters, elementary teachers of course. (So glad I changed from Elementary Education to High School. Thank you Katie and Whitney!)  I have been able to do most things at school and not have too much to do at home so far.  Hopefully I'll be adequately prepared for the first day!

One thing you probably know about me, I love to workout (a bit obsessively I'll admit). Usually, I opt for running.  However, here in Tegucigalpa it is not always the wisest decision to slip on your sneakers and head out for a run whenever you want.  Also, due to the lack of cell phones amongst all of the new teachers communication can be difficult, and finding a running buddy is just not that easy.  But today I was introduced to a whole new world of exercise!

One more thing you should know about me, but may not....I can't dance! (I know my family/ roommates are laughing right now)  I literally have no rhythm.  Did that stop me from going to a Latin Aerobics Dance class (aka "Chepe")?  Of course not!  When a couple of my housemates asked me if I'd like to go with them, I thought a little about how embarrassed I would probably be but then remembered how much I love to work out so I opted to go!  And what a great decision it was :-)  The class was about a 20 minute walk away, and once we got there we danced for 2 hours.  It was so much fun and we were all exhausted when we were done (not to mention the 20 minute uphill walk back home).  Again, my dancing skills are lacking so I am sure it was quite entertaining for anyone walking by (and I think I saw the instructor laugh a little while we were dancing).  Definitely going back!

One day closer to my first day of school! Please pray for my students!

2 comments:

  1. There has been a request for you to Skype your next Chepe class. Glad to hear your are doing well.

    Josh C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha..your blog pretty much sums it up. It was so fun doing the dance class with you; although I did feel pretty ridiculous at the same time!

    ReplyDelete