Saturday, September 4, 2010

Cuantos flores?

I must tell you about our cleaning lady.  It's different here because everyone has someone who comes and cleans their house (or at least I think it's a pretty common thing).  I guess it provides jobs for more people, and who doesn't want to have a clean house? So, our cleaning lady came Monday while we were at school.  When we got home we knew she had been here because as soon as Jess opened the door we could smell the cleaning supplies (I love that smell)!  She always does such a great job making everything spotless and look really nice. However, I was completely floored when I walked in my room and all of my laundry had been washed, dried and folded! I felt so grateful.  Of course, I really didn't think about the fact that my mom did just that for me for 22 years (THANKS MOM!).  I guess I should have been more appreciative.  Also, everything in my room was straightened up, my shoes were all lined up nice and neat and she had moved all of my things (hairdryer, straightener, softball glove, etc.) so that nothing was on the floor (in case of flooding).  It's amazing how hard of a worker she is, and I'm sure how little appreciation she gets.  Don't worry we are going to show her quite a bit of appreciation:-)

 Last night we went out for Thai food at a great restaurant (upon Erik and Danielle's suggestion).  It was kind of far away, so I wasn't sure if I still wanted to go after we spent 2 1/2 hours at the bank trying to get our new bank cards to work.  However, Thai food just sounded so delicious and so I couldn't pass up the opportunity.  We ended up having 9 people go and so we shoved 5 people into a little taxi and headed on our way.  It took a little longer than expected to get there because apparently nobody knows where "Sobu" is.  The driver was great though, and kept stopping to ask everyone that we saw (yes ladies he was a male driver) if they knew where the restaurant was.  We eventually got there and it was completely worth it.  The food was delicious and the view was great; you could see the Jesus Statue out of the window from the table we sat at.  I also love sushi and was glad to get to try several different Thai dishes. 

Then it was so great when I woke up this morning at 7a.m. and was ready to grade papers and make the Precalculus test for this upcoming week.  I don't know why, but sometimes I get in these moods where I want to do things that I usually don't enjoy doing.  Basically the way my brain works is that I will lay in bed and think about doing something so much that I might as well just get up and do it because I'm definitely not falling back asleep.  So I took advantage of my "go-get-um" mood and started my day!  I was able to get quite a bit done as I sat in bed, watched "The Holiday" (it's always been one of Apartment 1015's favs) and sipped my coffee.  By 9:30a.m. I had all of my Calculus quizzes graded, and the test made.  Most of my other planning I was able to get done on Friday since I only teach for the first 3 periods!  Really its a wonderful start to my weekend:-)  By 10:30a.m. I was outside taking advantage of the beautiful weather.  We have a gated area in front of our house so I took my towel and laid outside under the warm sun for a while!  It was so relaxing and enjoyable (especially knowing that I didn't have a ton of work hanging over my head)!

There is a place in front of our window to plant flowers, but so far its just been bare.  We got some little green plants and some purple and pink flowers to beautify our house a bit.  We were having trouble trying to decide how many flowers we needed to buy to fill the area. So I told the guy who was helping us how big of an area we were trying to fill (that was done successfully with hand motions), however, I then asked him (in Spanish) "Cuantos flores?" a.k.a "How many flowers?" Yes, I know this is grammatically incorrect, but he knew exactly what I meant and then told me that he thought about 10 plants would do the trick.  (I don't think he said "do the trick" but I knew that's what he meant.) You may be thinking, "You've been in Honduras for 3 weeks now and that's all you can say!", and I will confirm that yes that is about the extent of my Spanish.  I'm working on it really, but its  going to take much longer than I thought.  Hopefully, I'll dive into the culture more before too long!

I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. Moms everywhere love it! I'm living vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update!! It is good to hear from you. Love you! Anne
    P.S. I hate that my children have to hear that your mom washed and folded your clothes for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. testing....testing. Sorry Jenny I am trying to figure this thing out. Love you!

    ReplyDelete