Sunday, September 12, 2010

Good Food

Since I reported that I would keep searching for good food, I only thought it appropriate to let you know that I have found it!  Last night we went out to a restaurant called Las Tejitas, which is a nicer Honduran style restaurant.  The atmosphere is almost as good as the food.  It is pretty much outside, but there is a roof (which was good because it was raining) and then there is orange material that hangs on the sides to serve as walls.  The ambiance of the whole restaurant is very soothing and warm.  We ended up having a pretty big group go which was really fun, and even though we all arrived in different modes of transportation, we all got there around the same time (which is kind of unusual here in Honduras where time is not quite as important).  I got a combo plate with two tacos and one gringa.  You know what a taco is and a gringa is just a folded tortilla with chicken in it and it is grilled.  Then there is a bar in the center of the restaurant with all sorts of sauces and veggie mixes to put on top.  Very delicious!

I would be amiss to not tell you about our cab ride home.  Don't worry, I'm still alive, but our cab driver was a bit crazy.  He was chomping on some chicken wings and once we got in the car he put on "Stand by Me" and started singing at the top of his lungs.  Apparently this is one of his favorite songs because he played it over and over on the way home.  We sang along and he thought it was hilarious.  He had to slam on the breaks a couple times, and kept looking back at us and smiling and saying something that we couldn't understand.  We got out at the bottom of our hill and decided to walk the rest of the way home since we couldn't tell if he was completely all there. :-/

Today I went to the early service at church with my friends Leslie and Jen V.  One of my students, Maria Jose and her family, picked us up at my house and took us to church.  It was so nice to have a ride and get to spend some time with a Honduran family.  However, this is not just any Honduran family, this is probably the most loving and amazing family in all of Tegucigalpa.  The Martinez family offered to pick us up every Sunday and take us to church, which is so much better than taking a taxi or the bus.  I enjoyed being able to worship and interact with people who didn't need to hear the translation at church and are also so passionate about the Lord.  After church, they took us all out to breakfast at GG's, which was best food #2.  They had great coffee (which Mrs. Martinez insisted that we try) and I got an omelet all the way, which was probably the best omelet I have ever had!  Mr. Martinez thought it was funny when I ordered and said "Omelet of your choice" (it was in spanish on the menu) and the waiter quickly said back to my "No, of YOUR choice."   I was just reading the name off of the menu and apparently it was an Omelet with whatever "I" wanted, not whatever the waiter wanted. We got a chuckle when it was all cleared up.

Summary:  Great food, great people and I can't wait to get to know and spend more time with the Martinez family!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great weekend...so thankful for the Martinez family. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food hasn't turned out to be a problem after all. Sounds delicious:) Great about church also.

    ReplyDelete