Sunday, September 19, 2010

La Ceiba

Boat we rode out to Cayos Cochinos to go snorkeling
To do list:
  1. Ride in a bus with no air-conditioning for 8+ hours
  2. Drive through several Independence Day Parades and be the center of attention
  3. Have to stop for a herd of cows crossing the road
  4. See some of the most beautiful parts of Honduras
  5. Apply 50 SPF sunscreen
  6. Run and jump into the Caribbean Sea
  7. Discover how warm and salty the sea is compared to the Atlantic Ocean
  8. Swim really far out to get to the sandbar
  9. Dive down to pick up sand dollars and watch them move in my hand
  10. Walk along the beach
  11. Share a room with Jen, Jen and Julienne
  12. Watch disturbing music videos because it is the only channel in English
  13. Turn on our air conditioning and enjoy a cold room
  14. Fall asleep in a hammock on the beach
  15. Apply 50 SPF sunscreen
  16. Ride a tiny boat out to Cayos Cochinos to go snorkeling (see picture above)
  17. Discover the beautiful coral reef and colorful fishies
  18. Swim next to a swordfish
  19. Get a headache from my goggles being so tight
  20. Actually being able to float in the salty water without a life jacket
  21. Meet the indigenous people who live on Cayos Cochinos
  22. Apply 50 SPF sunscreen
  23. Lay out on the white beaches on the Islands
  24. Drink a Coke out of a glass bottle while laying on the beach
  25. Eat a fish even though I could still see his eyes
  26. Realize that water takes a long time to boil
  27. Eat a community spaghetti dinner with everyone in our group
  28. Apply 50 SPF sunscreen
  29. Zip-line through the rainforest
  30. Sit in a natural hot spring 
  31. Get rubbed down with mud
  32. Wait for 1 hour to get my food (definitely worth it though, see item # 32)
  33. Eat steak for the first time since I've been in Honduras (much needed)
  34. Get up early to go for a run on the beach but realize that its already to hot and just lay out instead
  35. Get eaten by sand fleas
  36. Oh yeah, Apply 50 SPF sunscreen
  37. Stop on the side of the road and buy a coconut
  38. Discover I don't like coconut water (or eating fresh coconut for that matter)
  39. Have a long talk with Jen V. on the way home :-)
  40. Realize I can survive without communication to Jeremy or my parents for 4 days! 

I thought I would love coconut milk, I was wrong!

There is bound to be things that I have forgotten.  The week was so amazing and everything we did was relaxing and incredibly fun.  At first I thought that I just wanted to go and sit on the beach for the whole trip: 1. Because I love to sit on the beach and 2. Because I am a bit of a cheap skate.  However, Snorkeling and  Zip-lining were great decisions!

Also, as you may have noticed, I kept of with my sunscreen application and hardly got burnt at all.  My back got a little red the day we went snorkeling (self explanatory) but other than that, my 50 SPF was true to its word.  The sun is so much hotter here, and even more in Ceiba than in Tegus, but I can hardly tell that I have been out in the sun.  Thank you Banana Boat!

Yes I actually took a bite of this guy.

Now, back to the grind.  Time for some Rosetta Stone (thank you Jeremy) and Journal writing (thank you Hubers) and then begins another week in my new, exciting life.  Can't wait to see what's in store!

Also, I'm going to try and get a list of all of my students that I teach and send them to my mom. (Sorry I haven't actually mentioned this to you yet mom!) There are probably around 100 high schoolers, but one of my friends was telling me that she was going to have people at home commit to praying for each on of her students (which is only 21 because she teaches 2nd grade), but I thought that it was a great idea.  If you would like to commit to praying for one of my students, please let me or my mom know so that we can give you a name.  I know it would only help out my classroom and it would be an encouragement to me and to my students.  Maybe I'll even be able to send pictures and I can update you on your specific student and let you know special needs once we get it all figured out!  But let others know because I need about 100 people to commit to this task! 

Thanks to all of you for your already continual prayer for me!

4 comments:

  1. Sign me up to pray for your students!! What a GREAT experience you had this weekend:) Have a BLESSED day. I'm out for school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't know you were getting a vacation all ready! Sounds wonderful. Sorry I missed you on skype yesterday when you talked to Molly and Joy. They enjoyed that. Just so you know, I check your blog every day. Even Caleb says he checks every day for updates. We all love you and miss you but are also living vicariously through you in this adventure! Hope your school week will go well, and of course I will pray for a student. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sign me up to pray! I loved reading about your latest adventures! And I pretty much check your blog every day too and especially enjoyed this one. Talk to you soon. Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, I love love love your post! I'm really tempted to steal your idea about praying for our students as well. With so much that has been going on at IST and HOnduras in general prayer is exactly what we need! Love you!

    ReplyDelete