Sunday, May 29, 2011

18 Days

As some of you have noted, I've been able to do quite a bit of traveling and vacationing this past year.  I figure that I might as well go as many places as I can and see as many things as I can while I'm in Central America.  Otherwise, I'll probably never get the chance again.  With that said, I just got back from a weekend trip to Amapala, an Island off of the west coast of Honduras.  I have been there before, but just for a day trip.  I got to actually see the whole Island and do a little more than just lay on the beach for a few hours.

We left Friday after school (which was a half day) and made the two hour drive to Amapala.  It was really nice because Matt has a car and was able to comfortably take Meredith, Dan and I.  We packed up and were out of Tegus by 1:00pm.  Once we arrived at the coast we had to park the car and catch a water taxi (tiny boat) over to Amapala.  It only took about 10-15 minutes, but the ride was quite enjoyable.  The island isn't very big, so as soon as we walked off of the boat we could see our hotel.  We unpacked our things and basically headed straight out to the beach.  We opted to go to Playa Negra (Black Beach, because of the black sand) because everyone except for Matt hadn't been to that beach yet.  It was really nice, but we only had about an hour and a half left of daylight so we enjoyed it while we could.  I was pretty hesitant to get into the ocean because I knew, with the sun going down, that I would be freezing.  However, once I decided to just feel the water, I couldn't help but go in because it was like getting into a warm bathtub.  The water felt amazing and Dan, Meredith and I played frisbee until the thunder started rolling in. 

On the way back to the hotel, we got poured on but it didn't really matter at that point.  We were on vacation.

The Mantings (Ben and Lauren) were at the hotel when we got back.  They left a little later than us from school, but stayed in the room right next to ours.  The Mantings weren't the only surprise we found when we got back though, because of the storm the power had gone out on the island.  We took showers in the dark (no hot water whether there was power or not) and then went down for dinner at the hotel.  They were able to make dinner because the kitchen was gas powered, but then the power came back on and we were able to enjoy dinner with lights and then played cards for the rest of the night.  I learned 2 new games: Up and Down the River; and Stupid (both very fun)

Mere and I retreated to our room, read a little and then went to bed.  The air conditioning felt great to fall asleep to, but I was awakened around 2:00am because I was so hot.  Power had gone out again and didn't come back on until the next day. 

Saturday we woke up early to go for a hike up the volcano (very old volcano and you couldn't see in at the top) which was just like a big mountain.  We started at 7:30 and finally reached the top at almost 10:00.  It was a pretty strenuous hike, but felt great to finally get to the top! I don't think I've every sweated that much before!  We stayed and relaxed for about an hour and then headed back down.  Since nothing was open for breakfast, we were starving at this point and immediately went into town for a delicious pizza lunch!

Back to the hotel, then off to the beach.  This time we went to Playa Grande (you can figure that one out) because Lauren knew of a private little cove that she had found on a previous trip.  It was really nice, no one else around and we could enjoy laying out without Hondurans looking at us like we were crazy.  The cove was surrounded by rocks, like you would see in a movie, and had a little beach.  The only bad thing was that there was no breeze, so it was incredibly hot! 

Back to the hotel for showers, but just after we finished, storm came up and no power once again.  This time it lasted all night, and we never got it back.  It poured and poured so we had to stay at the hotel and have dinner again.  The bad news was that our rooms were ridiculously hot, and so falling asleep was a little more difficult.  Wasn't the best night sleep and I'll be looking forward to my own bed and fan tonight!

The island is small, but not small enough to walk everywhere.  You may be wondering how we got around everywhere, from beach to beach and into the city?  Well, instead of taxis everywhere, Amapala has Tuk-tuks.  These are great for carrying 3 or 4 people anywhere on the Island.  Tuk-Tuks are little, open doored scooters with one wheel in the front and two in the back.  They drive with handle bars like a motorcycle and are quite enjoyable (as long as it's not raining). 



It was a great weekend getaway!  Now I only have two weekends left until Jeremy comes.  Bittersweet. (But definitely a little more sweet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment